To develop the tourism potential of the Corregidor Island, the Department of National Defense (DND) and the Department of Tourism (DOT) – Philippine Tourism Authority (PTA) now Tourism Infrastructure and Enterprise Zone Authority (TIEZA) signed a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) on July 10, 1986 leasing the Island to DOT-PTA (TIEZA) for 50 years at P1.00 per year.
On October 01, 1987, the DOT-PTA (TIEZA) formed Corregidor Foundation, Inc. (CFI) and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) as a non-profit, non-stock, private corporation, with a Board that includes four (4) ex-officio Trustees such as the DOT Secretary, DND Secretary, TIEZA COO, AFP Chief of Staff, and three (3) private sector representatives.
Since the creation of the Foundation in 1987, the Island was managed by an Executive Director who was appointed by the Board, until December 28, 2017 when President Rodrigo R. Duterte appointed Ms. Cynthia L. Carrion as President and Trustee, at the same time nominating her as Chairman of the Board. On February 6, 2018, the Board affirmed Carrion’s presidency. On March 8, 2018, the Board elected Carrion as Chairman of the Board, and by the Foundation’s By-laws, the Chairman shall automatically serve as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Foundation vested with the powers to run the day-to-day affairs of the Foundation.
Section 15 of IV of the 1987 Constitution states that the State shall conserve, promote, and popularize the nation’s historical and cultural heritage and resources, and in the pursuit of cultural preservation as a strategy for maintaining Filipino identity, the State shall aim to protect, preserve, conserve and promote the nation’s cultural heritage, its property and histories, and the ethnicity of local communities;
The 1987 Constitution further declares that the State shall likewise endeavor to create a balanced atmosphere where the historic past coexists in harmony with modern society, as it shall administer the heritage resources in a spirit of stewardship for the inspiration and benefit of the present and future generations.
Executive Order No. 58 series 1954, as amended, directs that all battlefields in the Island, except those reserved exclusively for temporary military use and national security be declared as national shrines, and opened for development as tourist attractions.
Presidential Decree No. 1076 dated January 26, 1977 transferred the functions of the defunct National Shrines Commission (NSC) to the Department of National Defense (DND), and activating the Military Shrines Service (MSS) as the operating unit of the Philippine Veterans Affairs Office (PVAO) to perform the functions of the NSC in relation to military memorials, such as to administer, develop, and maintain military memorials and battle monuments proclaimed as national shrines;